Exactly 30 years ago today, it was a Monday, I came home from working in my two school libraries, flung myself down on the sofa and kicked off my shoes. It was the day after half term. The year before, I had split up with a long-term boyfriend, but in recent weeks I had begun to think about a certain Head of PE in the school. I could feel myself blushing and my knees wobbling if he even looked my way. I had done the usual stuff that young women did in those days when they were interested in a man, but very little reaction had come from him. We had chatted quite a few times and I had given him lifts home and I knew he was a kind and pleasant person, but again no reaction.
That evening, I talked to my lodger, who was also a friend, and made the decision to phone him. I just wanted to know where I stood! So, with her egging me on in the background, I rang him and asked if he would like to go out for a drink. He said, “Yes”.
We went out to two country pubs: first, The Earl of Chesterfield in Shelford, and second, The Reindeer at East Bridgford, both in Nottinghamshire near the River Trent. We had a great time.
So, today we went back to The Earl of Chesterfield for lunch. Yes, the first date was such a success that we got married just over a year later! We have hardly spent a night apart since that date 30 years ago.
I am so happy that we managed today. We might both be getting old and very decrepit, but we love each other more every day. We fall out and have had to tackle probably more than our fair share of hard times, but that love binds us together.
Here is what I wore today:
- Pale green/blue cashmere cowl neck jumper – Marks and Spencer.
- Indigo jeans – Klass.
- Crystal and gold earrings – have had these a long time.
- Turquoise enamel and rose gold bangle – Halcyon Days.
- White enamel and gold bangle – Halcyon Days.
- Multi-colour viscose scarf – bought as a present by Elder Son, who knows my love of aqua, turquoise, navy, cobalt, green and pink! This is one of my most favourite scarves and is probably the most inexpensive in my collection, but I love it.
- I even put some makeup on (after I took the photo)!
- Please note that the colours of the jumper and scarf are more aqua than blue.